“The more passionate and argumentative I get the more followers and friends I make online.”


Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blog Highlight: Pinch of Yum


Pinch of Yum:

If you know me, you know I enjoy eating and cooking all the time. I get a lot of recipes and dinner ideas from Pinch of Yum. This food blog is a recreational blog that is characterized by a passion for food. Even though the majority of recreational bloggers aren’t out to make any money, one of the coolest things I like about this blog is how the author includes a section on how much money she has generated each month since she first started blogging.

Lindsey, the author of the blog, lists several reasons for Pinch of Yum’s purpose and they are as follows:
learn more about food, cooking, and photography
share yummy recipes with other food lovers
offer practical food ideas that are approachable for any kind of cook
help others start their own blog
share photography tips in a food photography eBook
develope the blog into a source of income
use a portion of that income to support causes near and dear to our hearts
show others how they can do the same in our monthly income reports
help other bloggers get started and grow through Food Blogger Pro

I think the simplicity of the Blog layout, content, along with how transparent Lindsey is with everything regarding the blog is the reason why her Blog is so unique. I also think the fact that readers can also receive tips, ideas, and help with constructing their own Blogs is also a reason why this Blog is so unique.
We readers get a sense that not only are we gaining new recipes or cooking ideas but we are also learning how we can incorporate our own favorite recipes and dinner ideas into our own blog!

There are several things driving traffic to this blog. Blog Her, Food Blogger Pro and RSS feeds drive traffic to the blog.  Pinch of Yum also has a Facebook and Twitter account as well. The tasty recipes and the fact that she teaches her audience how to start their own Blog is what gets people to read. I think it is a very successful blog because she posts on the site often, the food images are sharp and edited nicely, her content is original, and she is definitely sticking to it and is in it for the long haul!

If those characteristics aren’t enough to describe why the blog is successful we can definitely tell by the increases in the revenue over the years. However, regardless of how much money is coming in, I believe there are some things that could be improved to make this Blog a little bit better. For one, I would include the twitter feed on the Blog site. You want to be able to connect and share with your audience on as many outlets as possible. Pinch of Yum doesn’t have many social media accounts to begin with, so I think it is necessary to have as much exposure as possible to the ones that they do have.
I would also look into creating an Instagram account as well, and if she does already have one, I would definitely put the links and social buttons on the website so that the audience can connect with the Brand on those sites as well.  I also noticed that it is not very easy to share the content on the blog with others. For example, if I want to send you one of my favorite recipes on the site, I can either save the recipe or print it….that’s not very up-to-date in this “digital era”. What happened to the option of tweeting it? Emailing it? There needs to be an easier way to share this amazing, delicious content. 

Aside from my few suggestions, I want to point out that the overall success of this blog has lead to Pinch of Yum having advertisements from Brands like Capri-Sun, Kraft, Progressive, and many other top companies. These companies know their advertisements will reach thousands of people if they are placed on this blog because this blog definitely generates a lot of traffic.  Overall, I give it 2 thumbs up! If you’re craving something yummy for your tummy, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment